Published bysubarudog on 2008-05-20 Category: Custom USB Devices | Page Views: 22631
Introduction This tutorial will explain how to format a External USB HDD drive using a MAC into the HFS+ Format and enable it to be used on the XBOX 360 for viewing HD WMV, DivX, XviD, Mp3's and other supported content of any size. No longer is there a 4GB file size limit like FAT32.
Let's Get Started
I have got a Mac Mini Intel Core Solo 1.5GHz running OS X Leopard 10.5.2. I formatted an external Maxtor 320GB USB HDD to read on an Xbox 360 using "Disk Utility" under the "Utilties" menu which is located under "Applications".
The settings were:
- select partition tab under the usb hdd
- select '1 Partition' under volume scheme
- give it a meaningful name like 'media'
- under format menu select 'Mac OS Extended'
- under options button select 'Apple Partition Map'
- click 'Apply'
Now copy some media to test on the xbox 360.
All should work.
This is not to go against the excellent guides done by the Windows guys. BOTH METHODS WORK WELL.