|New Xbox One Media Player, Supported File Types Announced for Xbox OnePublished by forahobby on Monday, August 18, 2014
Tagged: Xbox One,
Larry Hryb, Xbox Live's Major Nelson has revealed that a new DLNA compatible Media Player app that supports USB and network streaming will be rolling out to all Xbox One owners later this year.
Today we’re rolling out several of the new social and entertainment features we shared earlier this week, with the addition of a few unannounced features, to the members previewing new system updates. Your input on feedback.xbox.com plays a big role in shaping these updates, which will roll out to all Xbox One owners in the coming months.
Some of the new features rolling out to our preview members include:
- Parties – The Party App has been re-organized, so you can now see what activities everyone in your party is doing and tell more clearly who is playing in the same game with you. You can also more quickly perform common actions like muting, joining, or sending game invites. Also, Parties now have a Party Leader. This person can change whether the party requires invitations, and she/he can remove others from the party.
- New Friends Section – The new Friends section has been available for a few early access preview members and we’re expanding it to additional participants enrolled in the preview program. The new Friends section enables you to see at a glance what’s going on with your friends. You can stay up-to-date with your current activities, the most popular games your friends are playing, and a Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore the most over the last 30 days.We’ll continue to roll this feature out to all participants in the coming updates.
- Media Player – A new app will be available soon that enables you to play media files from either an attached USB device or from a network connected home media server that supports DLNA protocols. The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.
- Xbox One Digital TV Tuner – Announced last week, this new hardware accessory will enter a limited preview program in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain), in advance of its retail launch beginning in October.
- Stream TV to SmartGlass – Launching first in markets receiving the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you will be able to stream your TV across your home network to your smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. You can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on Xbox One.
- Boot to TV – Now you will be able to set your console to boot directly to television when coming out of connected standby.
- Live TV Miniguide – For markets where OneGuide is available, a new mini guide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing. You can quickly change channels and see what’s on other channels, while still watching TV.
- SmartGlass Updates – You can now post status messages from the Activity Feed as well as add comments and share items from both your Activity Feed and from Game Clips. Along with the new comment and share features, a personalized Activity Feed has been added to your profile. Messages have been updated to a new layout supporting a full conversation view. Additionally, we are adding the ability to record game clips directly from the Now Playing bar. Finally, if you upgrade the app directly we have introduced a What’s New page highlighting the features of each release.
- “Xbox On” in New Markets – Adding support for additional markets to use the “Xbox On” Kinect voice command to power on consoles: Australia, Canada (French), Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Brazil – a top used feature.
- Country Expansion – We’re doing a lot of work on the back end to prepare for Xbox One to launch in 29 new markets in the coming weeks.
- Multiple GameDVR Deletes – You will be able to choose multiple GameDVR clips to delete at once in the Upload app.
- Save your Avatar Gamerpic – A new option is now available to save Avatar GamerPics to your OneDrive.
- Settings Updates – New options help you manage your controllers and accessories. Also, Instant Sign-In is being moved to Settings, to the Sign-in, security & Passkey area.
- Bandwidth Usage Display – Located in Network Settings under the Troubleshooting column, Bandwidth Usage will show you how much bandwidth your Xbox One is consuming over a period of time. This is useful if you want to track against bandwidth caps set by ISPs in certain markets.
Check out a complete list of supported file types for the new Xbox One Media Player app below.XBOX ONE COMPATIBLE FILE TYPES (Video/Audio/Image)
- 3gp audio
- 3gp video
- animated gif
- avi divx
- avi dv
- avi uncompressed
- avi xvid
- h264 avchd
- mpeg 1 ps
- mpeg 2
- mpeg 2 hd
- mpeg 2 ts
- mpeg 4 h264 aac
- mpeg 4 sp
- wma lossless
- wma pro
- wma voice
- wmv hd
Once again, we can’t thank you enough for your continued input and feedback. We look forward to sharing more when the next Xbox One system update rolls out to the larger community.
Looking for the latest Xbox One news, info, release dates, game trailers, screenshots
and more? Check out all of our Xbox One coverage on XBOXONE-HQ and don't forget to introduce yourself in our forums.
News-Source: Major Nelson
Xbox One Headquarters: http://www.xboxone-hq.com
( Subscribe via
Wednesday, May 13
| Ubisoft Announces Assassin's Creed Syndicate |
Monday, May 11
| Xbox One May System Update Out Now: Voice Mes|
Friday, May 01
| Free Xbox Live Multiplayer Weekend on Xbox 36|
Thursday, April 30
| New Xbox 360 System Update Adds Support for 2|
Wednesday, April 29
| Free Games with Gold for May 2015 - Get 3 Fre|
Friday, April 24
| New Features in Preview for Windows 10 and Xb|
Tuesday, April 21
| Assassin's Creed Chronicles China Out Now on |
Friday, April 17
| Star Wars Battlefront Release Dates Confirmed|
| Goat Simulator Out Now on Xbox One, Xbox 360|
Tuesday, April 14
| Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves Hit Con|
Monday, April 13
| RIDE Video Game Out Now on Xbox 360, Xbox One|
| Farming Simulator Hits Consoles on May 19 - X|
Friday, April 10
| Activision Announces Call of Duty Black Ops 3|
Tuesday, April 07
| Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Gold Edition O|
Monday, April 06
| Xbox One April System Update, Adds Game Hub L|
Tuesday, March 31
| Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Ascendance DLC |
Monday, March 30
| Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Closed Beta, C|
Sunday, March 29
| Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious Is Fr|
Friday, March 27
| Xbox Live Gold Members Get Six Free Games in |
Wednesday, March 25
| Minecraft Pattern Texture Pack DLC Available |
Tuesday, March 24
| Life Is Strange Episode 2 Is Now Available - |
Wednesday, March 18
| Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode Four 'Met|
Monday, March 16
| EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Coming to Xbo|
Wednesday, March 11
| Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode Three: Ju|
| All Titanfall map packs are now free on Xbox |
Tuesday, March 10
| Far Cry 4 Valley of the Yetis DLC Out Today o|
Monday, March 09
| Far Cry 4 'Valley of the Yetis' DLC Hits Cons|
Friday, March 06
| The Evil Within DLC The Assignment Launches N|
Wednesday, March 04
| Battlefield 4 Winter Update Adds New Mode, Ne|
Tuesday, March 03
| ScreamRide Out Now - Xbox 360 and Xbox One|
See All Xbox 360 News | Xbox 360 News Archive